Friday, April 13, 2012

Can We Fight Childhood Obesity?

After spending the past week fighting a cold and sinus infection and wiping my daughter's little runny nose, I am ready to get back into the swing of things.  I really hate being sick!!!  I hate it even more when my kids are sick.  So, as we continue on the road to better health and hopefully sleepFULL nights, I am ready to get back to business.  Raising healthy kids is on the top of my agenda.  I'm sure almost everyone is aware that as a country we are expanding.  I am not referring to our boarders.  I'm talking about childhood obesity.  Lets look at some facts.


  • "To accommodate larger kids, some schools have instructions for teachers to provide separate chairs and desks for students who cannot fit into the pupil chairs. And school furniture makers are increasing the size of chairs and desks to accommodate larger students." (CNN Health, Feb 15, 2012)

  • According to the CDC the rate of childhood obesity has gone from 7% in 1980 to 20% as of 2008. 

  • 70% of obese youth ages 5-17 have at least one risk factor for cardiovascular disease.

  • Obese children are likely to become obese adults.

  • Obese children are at increased risk for diabetes, bone and joint problems, sleep apnea, psychological problems, and social problems.  They are also at increased risk of many types of cancer.

When I see the hot lunch menu for my children's school, I feel like I am the only one who is alarmed by this.  They had a whole week when every food came on a stick.  My daughter's music teacher rewards her students with doughnuts.  What?!!!  Other teachers reward students with candy.  The children's menus at restaurants rarely include "real food" or anything green.  There seems to be a lack of taking our children's health seriously.


So, if we are aware we have an obesity crisis what are we going to do about it?  I stand back and shake my head, but I wonder what could I really do to make a positive change.  How do we help our schools?  How do we teach our children to make healthier food choices and get the physical activity they need?  


My children do take their lunch to school most days.  I try to provide healthy meals and snacks for them when they are at home.  I encourage physical activity.  What else can we do?  How can we get our schools on board?  I am open to any ideas.


Please share a comment.


In Health,
Charity

No comments:

Post a Comment